Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2008

University has started. Not.

So, long time no write. I would like to claim that this is because I have been hugely busy achieving marvellous things with my life, making hundreds of new friends and finishing my dissertation. Sadly I cannot, as that would be a lie, and I'm a good little boy.

I haven't actually been to a single learning event yet, as everytime I attempt to go, there is nobody there. This makes me sad. Almost to the point of crying in the streets. The whole system is so vague and confusing. I mean, it's good to have the freedom to put together your own course and stuff, but I really miss having a director of studies. There's just no PERSON I can go to and say "WTF is going on?" Instead I just wander round on my own attempting to go to lectures which have evidently been cancelled. Hmm. Let's just say I'm finding the transition from the 3rd best uni in the world (better than Oxford, woot!) to one that hovers in the late hundreds a bit of a rough ride. I did get a place on the Hungarian course though, which is good. And Finnish hopefully will start soon. I'm just gonna keep turning up until it does. Then all will be good. I might actually just do those two and give up on the idea of going to politiky lectures. I'm just too fond of well-organised clarity to cope if it's gonna be all messy and unpleasant and undignified. I'm just too mentally neat. Hmm. I'm really trying to be all tolerant and enjoy the multicultural experience, but I'm starting to think Cambridge is just better in all ways...

HOWEVER. Not all has been woe. I went out! Me and Ralph (friend of a friend) decided to frapper gayville (the area around Nollendorfplatz) on saturday night. It was odd. It was kinda empty, there were no women and no young people. I was turned away from a club for wearing trainers...I was really shocked at this as I hadnae thought Berlin was that kinda town. I mean, shoe-based entry policies are just so common. Vodka Revs has one. QED. We were then turned away from another one because we by this point had a woman with us. I got very angry about this, as the guy at the door was really rude to her. Lazy gay misogyny really pisses me off. I mean FFS, our rights are totally dependent on women's lib. There was also a real lack of noisy drunks fighting and women crying...I miss England! :-p

Hmm, I just made it sound like I didn't have any fun, which is not at all the case. It was well fun talking to randoms. And very interesting. I don't think I'll ever go back though. It just wasnae my kinda area. Not enough...well I dunno...life, I guess. Not enough FUNFUNFUN. I always feel like that going West though. The whole place depresses me. Feels so dead and pointless. Fills me with the really strange mixture of creeped-out-ness and pity. The night was, Berlin style, also sooo long. I got home about six in the morning (partly because Nollendorfplatz is so far west, like basically in Cornwall) and then had to leave pretty much straight away for the expat day at the seaside. Turns out that the sea is VERY far away, which I find strange, being from a town about 10 mins from the sea in a country where you're never that far from wetness. It took about 3 1/2 hours...and we're actually really quite near by German standards. Weird. Still, it was really nice there (Zinnowitz) and the beach had real sand and CLEAR water. Take that Felxistowe. Obv it was way too cold to actually go swimming, but we paddled a bit and went in this really cool underwater cinema to watch 3D videos about fish. Funtimes.

Right, I am going to go achieve summat with my life. Laterz.

Bryn
xxxx

Keine Kommentare: