Dienstag, 9. September 2008

Phones, paper and Bier are good. Banks. Are. Bad.

Right, I'm going to make my three postive comments first. Then rantrantrant. *emotionally prepares for rant...advises you to do the same...especially if you are a bank*

1.) Ich bin ein Berliner! I finally registered with the authorities today, meaning I now have my beautifully stamped (they love stamping shit here) certificate confiming my address in Berlin and my right to stay here. As an EU citizen they can't stop me staying, but still feel the need to spend time processing me all the same.

As it turned out, I very nearly forgot to go to my appointment because I was so busy playing with my new phone (see point the second). Cue mad dash across town (well, a few U-bahn stops away anyway) to stunning Commi-licious Karl-Marx Allee, which is where the main Stadthaus for Berlin Mitte is. When I got there, just on time, I asked where I had to go at one of the many desks. I must have missunderstood her slightly, because after several minutes rushing around downstairs in an underground network of disorientating white corridors desperately trying to find Platz 5, I bumped into a pair of security guards who were in equal measures amused, suspicious and helpful. Anyhoo, I eventually did get to Platz 5 and after a few minutes of signing things and watching the lady photocopy my passport several times and stamoplots of documents, I was handed a couple (stamped) pieces of paper and that was it. I was a Berliner. Still am. Fit.

2.) My new phone is so lovely! It's all pretty and shiny and plays music and I think I may be slightly sexually attracted to it. No more on that note.

So, should anyone want to ring me on my German mobile (or more likely send me a text) then my number is now: 0049178 1890239

The sim card isn't here yet so I'm using it with my English one at the moment. However, as of a few days I'm not gonna be using my English phone very much, so communicate with me by email, Facebook, German phone or Skype. That should be options enough!

3.) I went to Treptower Park with the Flatmate this evening and sat  by the Spree drinking Bier. It was so nice. I love Berlin. I really wish I'd been here for summer...it must be so cool down there when it's warm. (Lol, totally missed the contradiction there as I was writing!) I also love the big statues of holey men they have in the middle of the river down there.




4.) And now for the quick little rantette. ARGH FUCKING GERMAN BANKS! I have moved. D.h. I no longer live in England. I want to tell you this. LET ME TELL YOU. But no. I go to the branch. "Oh, do it by telephone banking." I attempt this. After being repeatedly dropped by the system and thus spending loads of money doing nothing but logging in I give up and ring customer services, only to be infomed I can't do it via them as I haven't logged it. The lady at customer services says I should do it online, but I have now attempted this three times and everytime it has said "an error has occured, please try again later." I did try later. Same problem.

So, I have now exhausted all four possilble means of contacting my bank. All four of the them were easily availble and fairly easy to use...but sadly none of them actually WORK.

England is simply better at banks/money.

And that's saying a lot, as I get bloody pissed off at my bank in England too.

Keine Kommentare: